Thursday, February 17, 2011

Immigrant Rights in Colorado - A family Affair

Before I forget, I promised to write a little about our project and how we have chosen to be involved as a family.

Angelo, Jason, and I joined like-minded friends to create valentine's day cards for detainees. We also attended the vigil held on Feb. 7th. (I will post pictures when I have a chance). It was a very cold night but so worth having nippy toes.  (Luciano's first protest...I think I could feel his balled up fist pumping in the air)
Angleo has been involved with us and has done an excellent job speaking Spanish with a new friend from Guatemala. 

You can read all about the event project here: Coloradans For Immigrant Rights: ICE Cold Hearts...Melted!

In addition, Jason & I have been following the Arizona copycat bills that have been proposed here in Colorado.  We attended the committee hearing at the state capital on Wednesday and saw first hand how the voice of the community was heard.  BOTH Arizona CopyCat (HB 1107 & SB 54) bills were defeated in committee and there was good news that ASSET Passed out of the Senate Education Committee on a 5-2 vote. The in-state tuition bill now goes to the Senate Finance Committee. 
For more info on what is going on in Colorado:  www.coloradoimmigrant.orgThere is a link on my facebook page that gives a summary of what is going on and some other news coverage that is interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment