Sunday, January 16, 2011

Words from Dad

I work at an agency called Fatherhood Support Services. Our mission is to empower men to become better fathers and more fully involved in the lives of their children. I have often been commended by many for raising Angelo on my own for several years, and for being a “good dad” in general. Truth is, being a young father was a role that I took for granted at times. At my agency I have met men who want nothing more than to have even a portion of what I was given. Their greatest desire is to be granted the mere chance to be an involved father, a responsibility I have come to believe is as important as any in life.  
I am fortunate enough to be given yet another opportunity that many men are not given once. And this time I will not be on my own. I get to raise a child with the most beautiful and amazing woman I know. Furthermore, Luciano will have the coolest big brother imaginable. There were times when I have admittedly considered not bringing another child into a world filled with sadness, injustice, cruelty, uncertainty and so many other problems. But assuredly, the world needs more problem solvers. I look forward to doing my part to see that Luciano becomes one himself. I am confident that his mother, brother and extended family will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment